Breakfast Courgette Fritters
These fritters are a delicious wheat free breakfast alternative. Courgettes, also known as Zucchini, contain a variety of vitamins and minerals and are particularly high in vitamin A supporting vision and the immune system. Ghee / coconut oil contain good fats and are more stable when cooked at high temperatures with less exposure to free radicals. The Coconut flour provides a good source of fibre and is a healthy wheat alternative.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 6 - 10 mins
- 1 zucchini / courgette, grated
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 tbs coconut flour
- Creme fraiche or smoky salsa
- Ghee or coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 rashers free range bacon, free from sugar and nitrates (optional)
- Squeeze the excess moisture out of the grated zucchini / courgette. You can do this by grabbing a handful of mixture and squeezing it. Liquid will escape, so do this over the sink or a bowl.
- Place the zucchini / courgette in a large bowl.
- Add in the eggs and coconut flour. Mix to combine. If the mixture is too dry, add in a drop of water. If this mixture is too wet, add in a little bit more coconut flour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and melt some ghee or coconut oil.
- To cook the fritters, add in a large spoonful of batter. Repeat until you have filled the pan, ensuring you have left room to flip the fritters.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side and then flip, and cook on the other side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- If you are adding bacon, melt some more ghee or coconut oil in the pan and cook the rashers.
- To serve, place the fritters on a plate with a side of bacon and a dollop of creme fraiche or smoky salsa.