High Energy Lentil Soup
This is our all-time favourite ‘get back on track’ soup. It really hits the spot when you are feeling tired, stressed and vulnerable to infections, because it is packed with anti-viral and antibacterial nutrients such as vitamin A and garlic. Lentils provide protein and slow released even energy – whilst also being a really cheap and delicious store cupboard staple.
Serves 3 - 4
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 1 hour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1 medium carrot
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs or
- 1 handful fresh finely chopped parsley
- 200g (dry weight) brown or green lentils
- 1 litre (1.75pints) vegetable stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil and a splash of water in a large, lidded pan and steam fry the onion, celery, leek and garlic over a medium heat, turning frequently, until soft and transparent – about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down and put the lid on.
- Cook for 30 mins or so until the lentils and all the vegetables are tender.
- Leave to cool slightly, then transfer half of the soup to an electric blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pan, stir well to combine and reheat and serve.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander.