Simple Pumpkin & Walnut Salad
This is a super adaptable salad that you can enjoy as it is, or play around with the ingredients you have to hand and create your own unique dish. Pumpkin is high in vitamins, minerals, nutrients and antioxidants. It’s a fantastic source of beta-carotene which your body converts into vitamin A and the vitamin C, E and iron can help boost your immune system.
Vegetarian / Gluten free
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 45 mins
- 900g of either pumpkin, butternut squash or sweet potato
- 155g of either baby spinach or wild rocket
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 100g roughly chopped walnuts
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 220C (200C in a fan oven) and line a tray with baking paper.
- Lightly coat the pumpkin with a tiny amount of the oil and lay on the tray.
- Bake for approximately half an hour until tender, turning from time to time, then set aside.
- Gently heat the remaining oil being careful not to overheat and burn it.
- Add the walnuts, stirring gently until they are slightly toasted.
- Once they have cooled a little, add the lemon juice, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the leaves and pumpkin on a platter and dress, tossing lightly.