Roast Cauliflower Soup
This creamy cauliflower soup with fresh coriander pesto is tasty and nutritious. It’s the perfect winter warmer for a chilly day and it’s lighter than potato soup. The fresh pesto adds a little zing of fresh flavour.
Vegetarian / Gluten free / Paleo
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 45 mins
- 2 heads of cauliflower, florets
- 2 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2½ – 3 cups bone broth/stock or vegetable stock
We recommend the delicious Ossa Broths – www.ossaorganics.com
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup coriander
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C and cover a baking sheet or two with parchment paper.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place on a baking sheet with the poblano peppers, oil, salt and pepper and toss.
- Roast for 15 minutes and then rotate the pan and use a spatula to stir the veggies.
- Roast for another 15 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- While the cauliflower is roasting heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and sauté the onions and garlic for approximately 3 – 5 minutes. Add the salt and oregano half-way through cooking. Set aside.
- Combine all of the pesto ingredients in food processor or blender. Blend until mixture is thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower is roasted, add it to a blender with the sautéed onions and garlic. Add 2½ cups of bone broth or stock and blend until smooth. You may need to work in batches.
- Put the mixture back in the soup pot and let it simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes. If the mixture is too thick add about ½ – 1 cup of bone broth or stock until you get the consistency you are looking for.
- Taste for salt and adjust accordingly subject to the type of stock you use.
- Serve with a scoop of cilantro pesto.
This recipe was reproduced with kind permission from Jessie Heggan www.jessiskitchen.com