This Superfood Smoothie is packed full of ingredients that are not only delicious but are also especially good for thyroid health.
- Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium. The thyroid has the highest selenium content among your body organs, so deficiency may cause imbalances. They are also high in omega 3s which reduce inflammation and normalise immune function.
- Cilantro/coriander/Chinese parsley is powerful herbal medicine in any form. While the essential oil benefits are amazing, simply eating fresh cilantro is a powerful detox, safe enough for daily use.
- Pears are high in fruit pectin—great for helping you detox and flush out heavy metals. The thyroid requires a good detox of heavy metals as this affects its essential function.
- Apples are also a great heavy metal detox.
- Oranges are great for thyroid conditions (Note—this is not true of bottled orange juice, only fresh oranges, eaten whole or fresh squeezed/ blended.)
- Pumpkin seeds are a high source of zinc of significance to the thyroid gland: adequate zinc is required to synthesize thyroid hormone, and thyroid hormones are essential for zinc absorption.
- Yogurt provides Vitamin D for immune regulation, and Vitamin D deficiency is linked to thyroid disorders. We use coconut yogurt for the healthy bacteria to improve gut health. If you aren’t dairy-sensitive look for organic, grass-fed yogurt.
- Kelp, even a little bit gives plenty of iodine which is required to synthesise thyroid hormone. Ease into eating more kelp by replacing 1/3 of the salt in your salt shaker with powdered kelp.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time N/A
- 3 brazil nuts
- 5 stems cilantro/coriander (wash, and pluck leaves; discard stems)
- 1 pear, sliced crosswise with skin on
- 1 orange or tangerine, peeled
- 2 tsp raw pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup yogurt (coconut yogurt is a great dairy free alternative)
- Optional: sprinkle in some powdered kelp for an added boost
- Wash all ingredients.
- Pluck cilantro/coriander leaves, and discard stems.
- Slice unpeeled pear crosswise, and poke out any seeds.
- Peel orange or tangerine.
- Blend all the ingredients in blender until smooth, adding quality water if needed.