Artichokes are a wholefood, are loaded with nutrients and offer more protein than many other vegetables. They can help regulate your blood sugar and your blood pressure and are also great for your liver health. The fibre in them helps support your digestive system and with predominantly helpful bacteria and active compounds, it helps to accelerate gut movement, support fat digestion and nourish your gut lining.
Garlic can reduce blood pressure, support the immune system and is a good source of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). It is also a very good source of manganese, selenium and vitamin C. In addition, garlic contains other minerals, including phosphorous, calcium, potassium, iron and copper.
Radishes are high in potassium, which can help also lower your blood pressure. They support the generation of collagen, which helps keep blood vessels healthy.
Chives are packed with vitamin K, a critical component in bone density and contain both choline and folate which is linked to improved memory.
Pretty good hey!
Serves Approx 6 - it really depends on how thick you spread it ;-)
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time Approx. 20 mins then cool
- 200g jarred artichoke hearts packed in oil – drained
- 1 garlic clove roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh chives – rough chop
- 5 radishes – finely sliced
- Zest 1 lemon
- Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat oven – 200 C/gas – 6/ fan 180 C
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper
- Place artichoke hearts on tray drizzle with oil and season
- Bake in oven – for approx. 20 minutes, until golden
- Remove and allow to cool
- Transfer artichokes and garlic to processor – blitz until a coarse consistency achieved. Some texture is nicer for this spread
- Place mix in a bowl and sprinkle on chives stir through
- Top the bread with the spread and finish with the radishes and lemon zest and salt and pepper