Granola can be a great way to start the day however you need to be careful as often granola bought off the shelf can have a high sugar content and added nasties. By making your own granola you’ll know exactly what has been added and you can add your favourite grains, nuts and seeds. The main ingredient is oats. Oats are well known for being higher in protein than most other grains, they are also rich in carbs, fibre and include many vitamins and minerals. Oats have been known to help reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promoting healthy gut bacteria and increasing feelings of fullness. The nuts and seeds we’ve used here are pumpkin, sunflower & sesame seeds and flaked almonds. All of these are high in essential fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which are essential for good health – regulating body weight, providing good energy and helping to protect against heart disease.
Vegetarian / Gluten free / Vegan
Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 25 mins
- 300g oats or GF oats
- 100g flaked almonds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup honey or agave syrup
- 50g coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
- Personalise your recipe with other nuts or seeds or dried fruit of your choice.
- Combine all ingredients apart from the coconut with the honey or agave syrup.
- Spread out on a lined baking tray (you will probably need two) and place in the oven at 150 degrees.
- Leave for 15 minutes, then add the coconut.
- Put back in the oven for another 10 minutes until toasted, golden and smelling delicious!
- It can be stored for up to a month in an airtight container.
- Serve with milk or a milk alternative and a dollop of yogurt or a handful of fresh berries.