This tasty recipe is a healthy Paleo dish ideal for breakfast or to scatter over fresh fruit or yoghurt. It contains many of the nutritional ingredients that can help to support good thyroid health.
- Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium. The thyroid has the highest selenium content of all your body organs, so deficiency may cause imbalances. They are also high in omega 3s which reduce inflammation and normalize immune function.
- Coconut oil is a healthy fat and supports balanced blood sugar.
- Goji berries contain 8 essential Amino acids, vitamins C, A, Zinc, Iron and are high in antioxidants.
- Dried cherries are rich in antioxidants great for cardio vascular health too.
Prep time 35 including cooling
Cook time 25
- 140g almonds/brazil nuts
- 125g cashews
- 35g pumpkin seeds
- 35g sunflower seeds
- 35g unsweetened coconut flakes
- 40g coconut oil
- 40g raw honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp sea salt
- 50g unsweetened dried fruit e.g. goji, blueberries, cherries
- Preheat oven to 140C◦
- Place the almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and coconut flakes in a blender and pulse a few times to break into small chunks
- Place the coconut oil, raw honey, sea salt and vanilla extract in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat and allow to melt
- Stir to combine, then add the nut mixture and stir until the everything is fully coated
- Spread the granola mixture evenly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for about 20—25 mins
- Remove from the oven, add the dried fruit and sprinkle with sea salt, pressing the mixture together firmly to form a tight, flat surface
- Allow to cool for about 20—30 minutes or until fully hardened, and then break into chunks
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week
- A breakfast portion is 40g, serve with plain yoghurt and berries